"Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up." ~A. A. Milne
How is Your Closet Organization?
Behind closed doors are your closets. What do your closets look like right now? Are they neat and organized or would you be ashamed to open the doors? Did you know that January is Get Organized Month (GO Month). GO Month is the professional organizing industry's national event dedicated to raising awareness of the benefits of getting organized and of hiring a professional organizer. According to NAPO, "A professional organizer enhances the lives of clients by designing systems and processes using organizing principles and through transferring organizing skills." Did you know that getting organized is one of the top 5 New Year’s resolutions? What better way to start than with your closets. If you decide to do it yourself, here are my five favorite closet organization tips.
My Five Favorite Closet Organization Tips
- The best way to clean up the clutter and get organized is to take everything out. Make three piles - "keep" - "toss" - "donate."
- Get the toss and donate piles out of the space. Do you feel better?
- Now divide the keep items into sections. For example, separate what belongs in the bedroom closet, the linen closet, the coat closet, etc. You get the drift. Work on one closet at a time. Divide what remains into sections - shoes, scarves, blouses, etc.
- Now ask yourself a few questions: Do I really need this? When was the last time I used it? Especially with clothes, if you haven't worn it in a year, what makes you think you will wear it again? Is it in good condition; does it need cleaning or mending?
- Last but not least, clean out your closet. Vacuum it, wipe down the walls, clean the baseboards, and paint the closet if necessary. Maybe you need more shelves and storage bins. Now is the time to take measurements and make a plan.
Add an instant closet organizer with a bookcase and tensions rods.
Organize your shoes with these shoe cubbies from The Container Store.
A wonderful way to organize a linen closet. Does your linen closet look like this?
Here's a great idea to store your purses using shower curtain hooks.
Here is a great way to organize your scarfs using a curtain rod and plastic shower curtain rings.
Keeping your closets clean and tidy is an ongoing process but after you've done the major work, the rest should be easy. One motto I live by is "something in, something out." It works for me; it might work for you too.
Do you have any closet organization tips? I'd love to hear your ideas. Please feel free to share below. I hope I have inspired you to do some organizing. Don't miss any of my future blogs for organization and decorating tips.
Sign up now!
Thanks for stopping by…
Until next time,