One of the biggest mistakes people make when decorating small spaces is using furniture that is too small. That is unless you live in a "tiny home." That doesn't mean that you don't think about scale and proportion. Those two items are very important. Select pieces that fit the scale of the space. Here are some tips for decorating your small home or condo:
1. Be organized and get rid of the clutter. If you haven't used it in a while, get rid of it; donate it, sell it, or give it away. You've heard the saying "a place for everything and everything in its place." This is very important in a small space.
2. Open concept living is not something new but if you live in an older space, you may have lots of separate spaces. Open up your rooms if you can. When rooms flow onto one another, they don't seem as small. Living rooms that double as dining rooms or eat-in kitchens are wonderful.
3. Use Multi Functional Pieces - Look for multiple uses in everything you buy. An ottoman is great as a footstool or coffee table, but an ottoman with hidden storage is even better.
4. Think vertical and use the space up to the ceiling whenever you can - shelves and high storage can be a lifesaver in a small space.
5. Don't be afraid of color but be careful with the colors you select. A neutral palette works great in a small space but can become boring. Develop color palettes that flow from room to room. If you go neutral, add pops of color and carry that color throughout the whole space.
6. Repeat materials and finishes. Think of your space as one space instead of lots of small spaces. The similar finishes and materials will unify the space.
7. Embrace the light. Use lots of lamps to brighten up your space and use mirrors wherever you can to reflect that light. A brighter space will feel larger. Get rid of heavy window treatments and opt for lighter airier treatments or even no treatments at all if privacy isn't an issue.
8. Arrange your furniture to take in views and expand visual space.
9. Think traffic flow. When arranging furniture consider how you move around from space to space.
10. Less is More. Accessorize in moderation. William Morris (the man behind the Arts and Crafts Movement) once said...
So if you live in a small space, I hope you found some useful advice today.
Thanks for stopping by...
Until next time,