Today I thought I would share ten of my favorite interior design quotes with you.
1. One of my all time favorite quotes was penned by the late Dorothy Draper. Dorothy was the first to professionalize the interior design industry by establishing the first interior design company.
"If it looks right, it is right."
2. Elsie de Wofe, known as America's "first lady of interior decoration" said...
"I opened the doors and windows of America,
and let in the air and sunshine."
Elsie de Wolfe
3. Next is a quote by William Morris, a 19th century textile designer, poet, novelist, translator, and socialist activist. Morris was most know for his contribution to the Arts and Crafts movement.
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
4. Edith Wharton, a Pulitzer Prize winning novelist, short story writer and designer said...
"True originality consists not in a new manner but in a new vision."
5. Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, a German born architect and designer, most known for his famous Barcelona chair, penned these famous words...
"Less is More."
6. Ruby Ross Wood, newspaper writer, author, and co-designer of Atlanta's Swan house once said...
"Decorating is the art of arranging beautiful things comfortably."
Ruby Ross Wood
7. Steve Jobs, an American entrepreneur, marketer, and inventor, best known for co-inventing the Apple Computer once said...
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like
design is how it works."
8. Winston Churchill, British politician and the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom during the second world war said...
"We shape our homes and then our homes shape us.”
9. Charles Eames, an American designer who with his brother, Ray, were best known for their midcentury furniture.
"The details are not the details, they make the design.”
10.Scott Adams, an American cartoonist, creator of the Dilbert comic strip said...
"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes,
Design is knowing which ones to keep"
What is your favorite design quote?
Thanks for stopping by...
Until next time,